Our BackgroundWe’re Chris & Elly and we created Tribes.AI after our experience of starting and growing Datalicious, a data science consulting agency specialising in marketing analytics & attribution. Our team was cohesive and worked well as a group of 10, but as we grew to 50+ staff across Asia Pacific it became challenging for us to:
- Get the team to fill in their timesheets accurately and on time so we could
- Understand what tasks were being worked on and if they were prioritized right to
- Deliver an outstanding service experience to clients while boosting profits.
- We also struggled with effective resource planning and forecasting to help us
- Manage workloads and maintain a healthy work-life balance for our team to
- Provide a happy and productive workplace that helps retain talent.
We managed and we were successful but we always felt we were too reactive and there should have been a smarter more proactive and data-driven way to manage our business, especially considering our skillset!
We’re Tribes.AI. We use data to turn businesses into tribes to create a healthier, more rewarding workplace for teams while increasing efficiency and productivity for managers and business owners
Turning a business into an agile tribe is not easy, but it is worth it - especially if the difficult groundwork of assembling raw data into meaningful insights is taken care of by Tribes.AI.
However, agility has to have a purpose - and for us that means revenue! Agile decisions are driven by actionable insights based on what really matters in the end - the bottom line. To achieve this, we solved two major challenges:
- Providing accurate and timely data on where teams spent their time because manual timesheets are notoriously inaccurate and nothing impacts the bottom line as much as resource costs. So without a reliable understanding of where employees spend their time, no meaningful optimization can happen.
- Connecting time spent to revenue directly, not via fuzzy KPIs, using advanced revenue attribution approaches borrowed from marketing analytics so anyone from individual contributors to managers and business owners can understand what behaviours support (or harm) the bottom line.
Building an agile tribe means empowering employees to take action on their own to reach defined business goals. Employees need to trust in the goals set by managers and business owners and understand how their individual actions impact them. Managers, on the other hand, need to trust how employees decide to spend their time to reach the defined goals.
How better to create this trust than through transparency? And that is exactly what Tribes.AI does. Investing in making the workplace transparent is worth it as research has shown that employees at high trust companies:
The Tribes.AI Platform
We turn hierarchical teams into tribes — cohesive, highly motivated and self-organising units that need less management attention to get the job done in the most efficient way.
We achieve this by providing companies with data on what projects and clients are consuming resources to help drive revenue in a timely fashion - without giving away confidential executive-level data. The collaborative and transparent manner in which this is done increases trust between management and employees and improves team motivation — but most importantly, Tribes.AI makes it obvious to every team member what drives (or harms) revenue at a granular task level, thereby enabling each individual to work towards the greater overall business success with less management oversight and motivation.
Tribes.AI analyses all the digital signals a team creates on a weekly basis and automatically calculates how many minutes each employee spends on each event that week — which can already be used to replace or audit manual timesheets but it doesn't end there. In a second step, we tie each event to a project or client, including their respective invoices. We then use the minutes per event data to distribute the invoiced revenue to each participating event to calculate a second measure, "revenue per event". The data is calculated at the most granular event level and can be aggregated and trended to answer key business questions:
- Which of my tasks with the highest revenue per event should I prioritize today?
- Who are the key employees with the highest revenue per event we need to retain?
- Which staff are frequently working long hours and are potentially overworked?
- What is our effective hourly rate, are we hitting our target or are we undercharging?
- In what projects are we underbilling hours and missing out on additional revenue?
- Which clients have low or declining revenue per event and need more attention?